By CARLA DEÑA, AARON RECUENCO
Los Baños, Laguna Mayor Caesar Perez was gunned down at the municipal hall in Barangay Timugan at about 8:45 p.m., Thursday, according to the Philippine Information Agency (PIA) Laguna.
The Philippine National Police (PNP) immediately formed a special task force to look into the killing of Perez.
Col. Chitadel Gaoiran, spokesperson of the Laguna Police Provincial Police, said the Special Investigation Task Group (SITG) will be headed by Lt. Col. Jesson Bombasi, the Deputy Provincial Director for Operations of the Laguna police.
Gaoiran said the SITG will look into the all possible angle behind the killing of Perez.
The official said the 66-year old Perez was on his way back to his office after having a massage in Barangay Baybayin when unidentified gunmen shot him at least two times in the back of his head while he was walking at the receiving area of the town hall.
“The gunmen fled after the incident. They are now the subject of our operation,” said Gaoiran.
Perez was taken to the HealthServ Medical Hospital in Los Baños where he was declared dead after 30 minutes of medical procedure to revive him. He was declared dead at 9:25 p.m.
Perez, who also served as vice governor of Laguna, was among those named by President Duterte as being involved in illegal drugs trade.
But Perez vehemently denied the allegation and pointed to local politics as the reason behind his inclusion in Duterte’s narcolist.
Perez also previously served as vice governor of Laguna.
Laguna Governor Ramil Hernandez expressed his condolences to Perez’ family and constituents.
“Taos pusong nakikiramay ang inyong lingkod, sampu ng aking pamilya, sa mga naiwang kapamilya at kababayan sa Los Baños ni Mayor Caesar P. Perez,” the governor wrote in a Facebook post.
“Mariin kong kinokondena ang nangyaring pagpatay kay Mayor Perez at pinag-uutos ko ang masusing imbestigasyon ukol sa bagay na ito upang makamit ang nararapat na hustisya,” he added,” he added.