By JONAS TERRADO
The PBA Board of Governors agreed on Tuesday to shorten the 45th season to one or two conferences due to the COVID-19 pandemic that continues to affect the country.
Commissioner Willie Marcial said a two-conference season is the most logical option at this point, though the calendar could be reduced to a single tournament should the current crisis lingers.
“The leaning of the board right now is two conferences. Pero kapag humaba pa ang current situation, baka maging isang conference na lang,” Marcial said after a video conference participated by 11 of 12 team governors.
The decision came after the government earlier in the day extended the enhanced community quarantine imposed throughout Luzon until April 30.
A shortened calendar will mean that the PBA won’t be holding its traditional three-conference season for the first time since the 2009-10 campaign.
The PBA has been holding a three-conference season from 1975 to 2005, with the exception of a two-conference format in 1981 due to the country’s hosting of the Southeast Asian Games.
The league shifted to a two-conference season from 2006 to 2010 to give way to the Philippines’ participation in FIBA-sanctioned competitions before going back to the usual three conferences.
The only thing that can be speculated is the arrangements surrounding the possibility of a one or two-conference season, especially on the schedule, format and contracts with league sponsors and television partner.
But everything remains in limbo until the situation improves.