SAN MATEO, California — Floyd Mayweather took to social media on Tuesday to criticize Manny Pacquiao, who responded in the same manner he toppled the previously undefeated Keith Thurman during their weekend slugfest in Las Vegas.
Mayweather, who attended the Pacquiao’s smackdown of Thurman at the MGM Grand, sounded bitter that the fight game is abuzz anew over the Filipino’s head-turning performance.
“I find it real ironic how every time Pacquiao’s name is brought up in the media, my name is always attached to it,” said Mayweather, 42, who beat Pacquiao on a unanimous decision in May 2015.
“This man’s entire legacy and career has been built off its association with my name and it’s about time you all stop using my brand for clout chasing and clickbait and let that man’s name hold weight of its own,” Mayweather said.
“For years, all you heard was that ‘Floyd is afraid of Manny Pacquiao.’ But what’s funny is, when we finally fought, I won so easily that everyone had to eat their words! All of the so called boxing experts, critics and jealous American ‘fan base’ either went mute and ran for cover or made every excuse in the world as to why I should give Manny Pacquiao a rematch.”
Pacquiao, 40, who floored Thurman, 30, in the first round en route to a 12-round split decision, didn’t like what Mayweather posted and countered heavily.
“Floyd Mayweather, you come to my fight and then use my name in a post but I’m the one that is trying to stay relevant? If you want to be relevant again…May-Pac-2,” Pacquiao said.
Mayweather was at ringside but he immediately left the venue after the bell sounded ending the fistic shootout Pacquiao feels is a strong candidate for Fight of the Year.
Pacquiao and Mayweather are both aligned with Al Haymon’s Premier Boxing Champions, an outfit that counts rivals Bob Arum’s Top Rank Inc. and Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions as boxing’s top promotional groups. (NICK GIONGCO)