By: Antonio L. Colina IV
DAVAO CITY – Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said Malacañang Palace appreciates the efforts of President Duterte’s supporters who are organizing a grand rally at the Davao Crocodile park on Thursday to urge him to declare a revolutionary government but added “there is no legal or factual basis” for it as of now.
In a media briefing at the Presidential Guest House on Monday, Roque told reporters the President has made it clear earlier that he will only consider calling for a revolutionary government if there is any attempt of destabilization against him.
“We appreciate the calls of president’s supporters for a revolutionary government but I think there is no factual or legal basis as of now because the president has said he will consider a revolutionary government if destabilizers will persist on their plan to have him removed from office,” he said.
Roque said they “don’t see any such threat in the future” against Duterte, noting that he enjoys a massive public support with an approval rating of 80 percent and also has the “support of Congress.”
“We assure them that the president is on top, he was duly elected and he remains hugely popular. My prediction is his popularity will even go up from the current 80 percent,” he said.
The President’s supporters are mounting the Revolutionary Government Grand Rally from 1p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the Davao Crocodile Park.