Authorities assure that the current alert level in Metro Manila remains normal despite the latest travel advisory issued by Australia.
Colonel Vic Tomas, deputy commander of Armed Forces of the Philippines-Joint Task Force National Capital Region (AFP JTF-NCR) said the latest travel advisory issued by Australia is just part of the global alert warning due to possible lone wolf attacks like the one that happened in the United States.
He added that to ensure that no untoward incidents will take place especially during the country’s hosting of the ASEAN Summit 2017 from November 13 to 14, they have already alerted standby forces to support the Philippine National Police (PNP) in all events and other security matters.
For his part, AFP Spokesman Major General Restituto Padilla, said the military has already verified the matter with the Australian Embassy and has found out that the travel advisory is a reiteration of a previous travel advisory issued earlier in May of this year.
He added that there is no credible threat in Metro Manila as of this time.
“It was re-issued in a more succinct manner and may have an update next week following the end of combat operations in Marawi,” Padilla said.
On the other hand Department of National Defense (DND) Public Affairs Service chief Arsenio Andolong said its normal procedure for governments through their embassies to issue advisories to their nationals who are overseas considering the spate of activities that have been happening abroad. (Francis T. Wakefield)