By: Genalyn D. Kabiling
President Duterte is still not keen on visiting the United States especially amid concerns its main security agency was supposedly plotting his ouster.
The President has accused the US Central Intelligence Agency of disliking his leadership, adding the feeling was mutual.
“Now they say that the CIA wanted me out of the government. I believe so but not really killing but they could have – they would have prepared another one,” Duterte said during the launching of an anti-trafficking campaign in Pasay City last Wednesday.
“But one thing is very sure is they do not like me and I do not like them also,” said Duterte, who previously lashed out at the US for its alleged interference in domestic affairs.
Given such concerns, the President remained hesitant to accept US President Donald Trump’s invitation to visit America.
“I was invited by Trump to go there and here comes the two senators from the US Congress, they were here saying, ‘Oh we will protest if he goes there.’ And I answered: ‘Who told you I will go there?’” he said.
Last week, the President threatened to “drive away” the country’s traditional ally the United States for alleged involvement in efforts to assassinate him. He told the CIA to “stop f*cking” with his government, saying he will blame the US if ends up dead.
“One day, I will just drive you away. It’s either they – your cahoots here will have to kill me or you have to get out of my country. Choose,” Duterte said in Malacañang.