Null
in

Mayor Sara open to talk peace with local rebels

DAVAO CITY – Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio has extended a local offer of peace to the New People’s Army within the territorial jurisdiction of Davao City in a statement Monday morning.

This, amid President Rodrigo Duterte’s withdrawal of talks between the government peace panel and the National Democratic Front.

“In light of the recent events in the third district of Davao City that resulted in the deaths of our fellow Filipinos, I am offering my hand in peace to the New People’s Army,” Mayor Duterte said.

“I am willing to listen, if the NPA is willing to talk.”

However, Mayor Duterte said that she would not talk to individual surrenderees and anyone short of the group.

“I want to talk to them as a group. I will not accept individuals who want to voluntarily surrender,” added Duterte.

Duterte said she already had something in mind that would benefit the group, as well as the community.

“I have a plan but I want to listen first to what you have to say,” Duterte said. “I suggest you think about this offer seriously since this will benefit you, our fellow Dabawenyos, and our beloved city.”

Mayor Duterte said she would leave “everything to the Armed Forces of the Philippines and to God” in case the rebel group declines her offer.

Over the weekend, the Communist Party of the Philippines said it was willing to push through with the scheduled talks in The Netherlands if President Rodrigo Duterte decides to send his team of peace panelists back after an ordered pull out from the talks.

Last week, at least two members of the AFP were killed while 18 were wounded in a series of encounters with the NPA in barangays Lamanan and Calinan.

President Duterte visited the wake of those slain at the AFP camp in Panacan and handed assistance to the families of the wounded. (TARA D. YAP)

What do you think?

Written by Tempo Online

‘Walang Kupas’ 2nd time around?

Tigil-putol ng niyog, iniutos