LAS VEGAS – Nonito Donaire doesn’t intend to waste time finishing off undefeated challenger Jessie Magdaleno when he defends the World Boxing Organization super-bantamweight crown for the second time Saturday at the Thomas and Mack Center.
“I always go for a knockout,” said Donaire after tipping in at 121.8 lbs during Friday’s official weighin at the Encore Theater.
Magdaleno, who came in at 121.4, brushed off Donaire’s bold words, stressing he didn’t like what the Filipino-American did during the press conference.
Magdaleno, 24, branded Donaire, 33, as being “crazy” for pulling off a stunt at the dais when he executed a war dance and chanted instead of delivering a few words.
Magdaleno (23-0 with 17 KOs) feels it is time for Donaire (37-3 with 24 KOs) to hand over the reins to him.
“I am going to take over because he is an old man. He has to go,” said Magdaleno, noting that Donaire, nonetheless, remains a threat because of his hook.
“I know Nonito is going to be at his best, but I am going to be much better than him,” said Magdaleno, who calls Las Vegas his home after spending the first three years of his life in Pomona, California.
Donaire took the WBO 122-lb title by scraping past Mexican Cesar Juarez last year in Puerto Rico and defended it the first time by halting Zsolt Bedak of Hungary in Cebu, the Philippines.
Now based here, Donaire is extremely confident that Magdaleno will end up banged up and busted, adding he doesn’t scare him.
“I have no concern because I am focused on what I can do rather than what he can,” said Donaire.
Tony Weeks will be the referee, while the three judges are Burt Clements, Adalaide Byrd and Steve Weisfeld, all appointees of the Nevada Athletic Commission. (Nick Giongco)