If Floyd Mayweather opts to pick a dancing partner other than Manny Pacquiao on May 2, Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum revealed yesterday that the Filipino star will have his much-awaited ring return on May 30.
Arum told ESPN while he was presiding over a major show there that Khan is indeed the solid backup plan and that their mouth-watering matchup could end up being held in one of these four venues: Las Vegas, New York, London and Abu Dhabi.
Pacquiao is already in the US mainland and is actually getting ready to serve as one of the judges for the 2015 Miss Universe after a whirlwind tour of London.
While in London, Pacquiao had dinner with Prince Harry, fourth-in-line to the British throne, and even met with Khan, his many-time sparring partner, to discuss the prospects of facing each other.
Arum said the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, Wembley Stadium in London, Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas and Abu Dhabi, the capital of the United Arab Emirates, have expressed desire to host a Pacquiao headliner.
Through the years, various groups have longed and wanted to import Pacquiao and only Macau, the former Portuguese colony, has succeeded in showcasing the eight-division champion.
Should Mayweather decides that it would be too risky to stake his unbeaten slate against Pacquiao and tap Puerto Rican Miguel Cotto (in a rematch) or somebody else as his opponent in May, Arum said that they will have no choice but to move on.
Khan, the 28-year-old 2004 Olympic silver medalist, has a 30-3 win-loss card with 19 KOs and became notorious for having a glass chin during his early years as a pro until a few years back.
Two of Khan’s defeats were savage knockouts to Colombian Breidis Prescott in the first round in 2008 and Puerto Rican Danny Garcia in the fourth frame in 2012.
But Khan has morphed into a tougher guy the last couple of years and is coming off a sensational victory over American Devon Alexander in last outing late last year.
Pacquiao, 36, is coming off a lopsided decision win over previously undefeated Chris Algieri in Macau.
Pacquiao says he has agreed to all of Mayweather’s demands and that it is only the 37-year-old Mayweather’s nod is missing for the dream fight to become a reality.