By TARA YAP
ILOILO CITY, Iloilo — The food poisoning incident that victimized almost 60 people in Iloilo City was caused by salmonella bacteria.
Dr. Glenn Alonsabe, chief epidemiologist of Department of Health (DoH-6), confirmed that samples taken from four victims have tested positive for salmonella bacteria.
The initial results were verified by DoH’s Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM) in Metro Manila.
It was last September 26 when people were admitted to different hospitals in Iloilo City. They all exhibited symptoms of food poisoning from drinking Dakasi milk tea.
Alonsabe said that the salmonella may have been from the added ingredient of egg pudding, which was the common ingredient of the specialty milk tea that was ordered by the victims, who now have been discharged and have recovered.
The incident also allegedly triggered the death of a 27-year-old man.
Alonsabe urged food establishments in Western Visayas region to observe proper sanitary procedure and food preparation to avert any major food poisoning incident.
Meanwhile, health officials are also investigating another food poisoning incident wherein more than 10 South Koreans were rushed to a Iloilo hospital last October 9.