The PBA Board of Governors steadfastly insisted yesterday that only an arrangement where games up to 2016 will be broadcast live either on IBC 13 or on TV5 will be acceptable.
With finality, the league board ruled that no other option will be entertained. TV outfit Sports5, which carries the PBA games, has been given until Wednesday to respond to the decision reached just after noon in a special board meeting at the PBA office in Libis, Quezon City.
If Sports5 fails to meet the conditions set by the PBA board by the set deadline, then the league possibly could move to take over the broadcast of the games, a development that could prove costly for the TV outfit.
The PBA and TV5 had shook hands on a multi-year P917-million deal in 2011, and a PBA takeover of the broadcast could mean millions of pesos in penalties for the network owned by telecommunications tycoon Manny V. Pangilinan.
Present for TV5 were Peter Chanliong and Vitto Lazatin, both of whom reiterated the network’s proposal to air the first game of the coming Governors’ Cup at 5:45 p.m. on IBC 13 and the second game at 8 p.m. on TV5 on Wednesdays and Fridays while Saturday and Sunday games will be telecast on TV 5 starting at 3 p.m.
PBA commissioner Chito Salud said a clear position has already been reached by the board during the last meeting of the two parties but made it known to the public only now.
“I think it’s also to the advantage of TV5 if they can make a final resolution to the issue at this time,” Salud said.
Several alternatives had been brought to the table by network officials, including a couple where the first game will be telecast on Aksyon TV while the second game will be on TV5 during weekdays, with weekend games aired on TV5.
Both got the thumb’s down from the board which reiterated that its contract with TV5 calls that all games would be aired on a VHF channel.
PBA chairman Robert Non of Barangay Ginebra San Miguel said the board only has the interest of the public in mind. (Tito S. Talao)
Incoming search terms:
- tv5 pba (1)