Home » News Roundup » Aquino signs clerical error law

Aquino signs clerical error law

Manila, Philippines – President Benigno S. Aquino III has signed a new law allowing persons to seek some corrections in their birth certificates without getting a court order.

Republic Act (RA) No. 10172 authorizes the local civil registrar to correct clerical or typographical errors in the birth date and gender on birth certificates without the need for a judicial order.

RA 10172 amended RA 9048 that exempted only the first name and nickname from court approval requirement.

Under the new law, the applicant must to submit an affidavit seeking correction of the erroneous entry in the birth certificate.

It must be supported by certain documents such as certified true copy of certificate containing the entry or entries sought to be corrected and two public or private documents showing the correct entry.

A certification from the appropriate law enforcement agencies that he has no pending case or no criminal record must also be submitted.

The petition for change of first name or nickname or correction of erroneous entry on birth date and gender must also be published at least once a week for two consecutive weeks in a national newspaper.

RA 10172 also allowed the local civil registrar to collect reasonable fees for any petition seeking to correct errors in birth certificates.

The law, signed last August 15, will take effect 15 days after publication in the Official Gazette or in at least two newspapers. The copy of the law was released in the government website last weekend. (Genalyn D. Kabiling)

Incoming search terms:

  • clerical error law (454)
  • ra 10172 (290)
  • birth certificate correction (250)
  • republic act 10172 (204)
  • republic act 10172 clerical error law (154)
  • Lyn Seranilla

    Good day!

    I would like to ask about sa pag-change ng one letter sa middle name ko.. QUITOLBO ang tamang spelling, tama naman sa municipal birth certificate ko.. but sa NSO na birth certificate ko ay mali QUITULBO. Ang advice po sa akin ay kumuha ng endorsement sa municipality namin. i ask my brother na siya ang kumuha ng endorsement letter. Ayaw po magbigay ng encharge dahil kailagan daw pong magbayad ng 1,700 pesos. kailangan pa raw po i petition iyon.

    Ang hindi ko naiintindihan ay bakit kailangan pa i petition iyon kung ang sinabe ng NSO personnel sa akin ay hindi na daw ipinapadaan iyon sa korte. I only need the endorsement letter na galing sa municipality namin at yon ang dalhin ko sa NSO kasama ng mga documents na nagpapatunay na iyon nga ang tamang spelling ng middle name ko.

    I hope matulungan niyo po ako. Salamat and Godbless.

    Yours Truly,

    Robylyn Quitolbo Seranilla

  • Michelle Carlos

    kasama rin poh ba sa R.A 10172 ung pag erase nang midle name ko?kc ung midle name ko sa birth certifecate ay GIIROY n dapat ung spell ay GIROY lang,,malaki poh ba babayaran ko nun even in indigent?asnwer me plss

  • hmmm

    Pwede ang migrant petitioner.

  • Emmanuel Antonio Jr. Paderanga

    Local Civil Registrar so meaning kung saan nakaregister ang record mo, doon ka rin magpacorrect.