MANILA, Philippines (PNA) – The National Disaster and Risk Reduction Management Council (NDRRMC) reported on Saturday evening that a 75-year-old fisherman died due to rains brought by typhoon “Karen” (international name: Sanba).
NDRRMC identified the fatality as Arsenio Bongcales previously reported as Juan Cabales, 75, of Barangay Bugo, Tomas, Oppus, Southern Leyte.
In its report, NDRRMC said that Bongcales went fishing at 8 p.m. of September 12, never went back home and then on September 14 around 12 noon the body of the victim was found off the shore of Kawayan village in Libangon town in Southern Leyte.
NDRRMC also said that 137 families or 511 persons in the cities Quezon, San Juan and Valenzuela were evacuated from their homes early Saturday due to rain from the monsoon enhanced by typhoon Karen.
The agency said that as of 5 p.m. Saturday, V. Reales street and James street in Valenzuela and Lascano Street in Malabon were still submerged at three feet flood.
The disaster agency also monitored the landslide incident in Hinabangan, Samar at 4 a.m. last Wednesday which damaged two houses owned by Susemo Abayare, 57, and Mario Abarracoso, 27.
A flash flood incident happened around at 3 p.m. last Sept. 10 in Malaybalay City, Bukidnon, where 53 families were evacuated but eventually returned to their homes after the flashflood subsided.
Both incidents have no casualties reported, the agency said.
The NDRRMC also said the junction of Mindoro West Coastal Road (MWCR) Mompong Bridge in Sablayan, Occidental Mindoro was still not passable to all types of vehicles due to unworkable field condition and strong current while Junction of Yapang Road in Sablayan, Occidental Mindoro is now passable. (Christopher Lloyd T. Caliwan)
Incoming search terms:
- Bagyong Karen (22)