BANTAYANISLAND, Cebu – Seven members of a family, including three minors, were rushed to the hospital after eating stewed puffer fish for breakfast.
The victims, all residents of Barangay Hilotongan, this island, reportedly felt dizzy and vomited two hours after they ate stewed puffer fish, locally known as “buriring.“
The victims were rushed to the Bantayan District Hospital. As of yesterday, all victims were already stable but remain confined at the hospital, said attending physician Edgar Abelgas.
The victims feasted on the “buriring“, a poisonous species of the puffer fish, but suddenly felt dizzy and started vomiting, said PO2 Lou Susvilla, Bantayan police investigator.
Allan Poquita, assistant director of the Bureau and Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) 7, said that puffer fish family has a tetrodotoxin substance in their skin and internal organs.
Poquita clarified that there are people who can eat these fish and yet not be poisoned those who have an active lifestyle. The children, the elderly, and those with weak immune system are prone to poisoning. (Mars W. Mosqueda, Jr.)
Incoming search terms:
- cebu (151)