Manila, Philippines – The heirs of the slain ex-boyfriend of fourth district congresswoman Nanette Castelo-Daza filed three tiered motion to defer arraignment for re-investigation and for the issuance of a hold departure order (HDO) against the accused.
In a three-page motion, Eduardo Bringas counsel for the slain Noel Orate Sr. said that the information against the accused Romeo Allan Robes is defective since the gun and the owner were not identified.
The motion also stated that since no license was provided for the gun used (.380 Keltect pistol) the presumption is that the gun is illegal and the charge should be murder and not homicide.
The information also failed to contain the certification of the assistant city prosecutor who signed and the information did not bear the conformity of the city prosecutor or his representative.
Although the police investigation recommended the filing of murder charges against Robes, the motion said that it failed to attach the SOCO and autopsy report to qualify the crime for murder.
The accused is the husband of Daza’s daughter Quezon City Councilor Jessica Castelo Daza while Orate was allegedly the boyfriend of the former lawmaker for 12 years.
NEW QCPD POLICE CHIEF
A new director will be taking over the helm of the Quezon City Police District (QCPD) this week.
QCPD director C/Supt. George Regis said that C/Supt. Mario Dela Vega will be taking his place during turn over ceremonies at Camp Karingal this Friday.
He said that Dela Vega will be relinquishing his post as chief of the Directorate for Integrated Police Operations Visayas. Dela Vega was the QCPD’s District Directorial Staff when he was still a senior superintendent.
Regis said that today he will be taking over as the new director of the Southern Police District from its officer-in-charge, Senior Superintendent Arrazad Subong. Subong left the QCPD last January to swap posts with Senior Superintendent James Bucayu as Deputy District Director for Administration in the two police districts.
The SPD directorship was left vacant by Chief Superintendent Jose Arne delos Santos who is now the director of Police Regional Office 5 (PRO5).
Regis assured that once he assumes his post at the SPD he will implement that 10-point plan of the Philippine National Police (PNP) just like he did when took over the QCPD.
The police official, who has the QCPD director since June last year, said that this action plan include the continuation and the enhancement of the Integated Transformation Program and Performance Governance System (ITP-PGS) that set targets that measures reform programs with the idea of improving the PNP as a whole.
Also part of the 10-point plan is the Periodic Performance Audit to determine the competency of each personnel aside from the usual improvement in equipment and training, effective system of reward and punishment and welfare programs for all personnel.
Regis admitted that Quezon City Mayor Herbert Bautista wanted him to stay because of ongoing programs including development assistance for the local police. (Chito A. Chavez and Jeffrey G. Damicog)